Many people are interested in getting a real estate license in California as the earning potential is high, and you can schedule hours to fit your needs. Licensing requires the completion of an approved course of study at one of the many online real estate schools in California.
Each person learns differently, so most schools try to provide a combination of audio-visual and tactile learning content. Some people have flexible schedules and are more comfortable attending in-person classroom-focused real estate schools. Other people are busy holding down a job, a family, or other commitments that make it a necessity to be able to access course material at their convenience, such as that provided in online real estate classes in California.
1. Colibri Real Estate: Best Online Real Estate School In California
Of all of the accredited online real estate schools in California, Colibri Real Estate offers the most choices in course options and supplementary aids. They offer four reasonably priced online pre-license course package options, or you can purchase courses individually.
The most basic package is priced at $119. It includes the California Real Estate Principles, California Real Estate Practices, and six different elective courses to fulfill the state’s required 135 hours for your California real estate license. Additionally, you will receive three eBooks and instructor support.
Colibri Real Estate online course is text-based and features end of chapter quizzes and an Instructor Q & A, which provides live access to industry professionals to answer any questions. Successful completion of the end of course final exam earns a completion certificate.
The highest level package is priced at $449. It includes everything the Basic package offers plus exam prep practice exams, a 90-day Boot Camp, an exam-cram video, a printed textbook, and a one-year professional development membership. That’s everything you need for initial licensing and renewal licensing!
Pros and Cons
- Pro – Career Longevity: If you want to take your real estate career to the next level, this course also offers broker training. And with all the professional development content included with their best courses, this is one of the best online resources for long-term career support.
- Pro – A La Carte: Colibri Real Estate has content that will meet all 135 hours required to sit for the California real estate exam. However, you can always choose to take one or two of these courses to earn 45 hours at a time, which may be ideal if you’ve already completed some of the education requirement before this point.
- Pro – Guaranteed Results: Under their Pass or Don’t Pay Guarantee, you’ll receive a full refund if you fail your California real estate exam after completing this course. That means the only thing you have to lose is your time.
We consider Colibri Real Estate to be one of the best online real estate schools in California for reasonably priced pre-license real estate courses from a reputable nationwide company.
(READ OUR COLIBRI REAL ESTATE REVIEW)
Colibri Real Estate: $137 Off Ultimate Learning Course
2. AceableAgent: Online Real Estate Schools In California
Aceable Agent has been in the online education business since 1992. Since then, this company has offered real estate education to several different locations; however, their online real estate courses in California just received accreditation in 2020.
Their pre-licensing course includes the most updated Real Estate Principles, Real Estate Practices, and Legal Aspects of Real Estate offered in a self-paced PDF format.
The course was written by experienced real estate professionals and is easy to read through. Courses are downloadable to any computer and are specifically designed for use with any mobile or tablet device.
- The Essentials: This basic package offers a self-paced PDF study format that meets the 135 hour requirement from the state of California. You can also contact your instructor for support via email, and there’s a 30-day money back guarantee that allows you to try it for a month without making a full commitment.
- Ace The Exam: For about $75 more than the basic package, this option includes 75 videos and 70 supplementary audio lessons. You also get over 1,300 practice questions and another real estate eBook to help you study.
- Ultimate Interactive: This costs over $100 more than the Ace The Exam package, but it offers private tutoring and other live features. If you’re interested in checking out Aceable Agent’s library of live and pre-recorded webinars, or if you want to ask questions to your instructor in real time, this is a fantastic deal.
Each course is followed by a final exam that earns you a course completion certification. Aceable Agent is so sure you will find success with their classes that they guarantee to refund your money if you don’t pass the state licensing exam by the end of the third try.
Pros and Cons
- Pro – Audio Content: For some students, audio lessons are essential to ensuring they can successfully prepare for their exams. This allows you to multitask and study while doing chores, traveling, or exercising.
- Pro – Affordable Tutoring: Although restricted to their highest-priced course, Aceable Agent still offers one of the most affordable packages for students interested in live tutoring. In addition to the hour of 1-on-1 tutoring included with the Ultimate course, you can also quickly ask questions live to your instructors during webinars and the Q&A.
- Con – Flashcards: One area in which Aceable Agent doesn’t offer much assistance is vocabulary. A lack of digital flashcards or other vocabulary building exercises means you may not have a solid grasp on all the necessary terms in your profession.
While not the most comprehensive online real estate license prep option, Aceable Agent is an affordable, accredited option.
(READ OUR ACEABLEAGENT REVIEW)
Up to 30% Savings on Aceable Agent Premium Exam
3. The CE Shop: California Real Estate Courses Online Review
The CE Shop offers some of the most engaging course material, which combines reading passages with real-world decision scenarios. The scenarios provide an opportunity to apply what you’ve just learned, so you are prepared to pass the exam.
Online text-based pre-license courses include Real Estate Practice, Real Estate Principles, and Real Estate Finance. In addition to the course, The CE Shop offers downloadable reference materials and 24/7 access to instructors and tech support.
- Sales and broker training
- Digital flashcards and glossary
- Business eBooks and other career resources
- Accessible from mobile and tablet devices
- 91% student pass rate
- 30-day money back guarantee
Pros and Cons
- Pro – Readiness Indicator: Your course dashboard automatically updates to show your progress as you work your way through the course. This prevents you from spending any more time on your study plan than is absolutely necessary.
- Pro – Course Bundles: The CE Shop offers 3 different courses covering real estate licensing. These can be purchased together for a lower price, which is what I recommend if you’re interested in any aspect of this course.
- Con – No Audio Lessons: People who like to learn while doing other things will be disappointed to see no audio content in this course. A lack of audio lectures means it will be more difficult (but not impossible) to study while doing chores or exercising.
Innovative course material, reasonable pricing, and several continuing education options make the CE Shop an excellent choice for pre-licensing and continuing education courses.
Save $100 on The CE Shop Pre-Licensing Education
4. CompuCram: Online Real Estate Classes In California
As its name implies, this company offers a computer-based cram course for state and national real estate exams. They can help you greatly improve your working vocabulary of real estate terms and concepts.
- Unique question formats
- Digital flashcards
- Mobile and tablet compatibility
- Adaptive learning and readiness indicator
- Six month access period
Pros and Cons
- Pro – Qualified Instructors: Each teacher has years of experience in real estate and education.
- Pro – Free Demo: Anyone interested in this course can try out a free demo to see if they like the material before paying for anything.
- Con – No Live Learning: Unfortunately, Compucram doesn’t offer any live learning options for real estate exam prep.
Compucram is an excellent course for anyone interested in self study materials. They also offer a guided, computerized curriculum that can help you learn quickly and efficiently.
5. Mbition: Best Real Estate License Course in California
Mbition (formerly known as OnCourse Learning) is one of the well-recognized online real estate schools in California with a nationwide presence in 41 states. They offer text-based online learning delivered in small modules that can be easily read and understood.
Silver, Gold, and Platinum solutions range from $129 to $339. All course packages include three courses required for real estate licensing in California, such as Real Estate Principles, Practices, and Real Estate Finance in eBook format inclusive of exams and instructor and technical support.
Upgrades to gold and platinum packages provide Mbition’s proprietary MathMaster tool to help students understand the math required for real estate transactions and prepare for the licensing exam. Mbition also offers other study aids and interactive review games for enhanced content retention.
Mbition courses and exam prep tools are all optimized for mobile devices. Student support is available both online and via phone.
Mbition is a budget-friendly course program with unbeatable test prep study aids and resources.
6. Kaplan Real Estate: CA Real Estate Courses Online
Kaplan is one of the most well-known providers of licensing exam preparation and continuing education courses. They offer both physical classroom and online courses in real estate.
Kaplan offers a variety of state-approved home study packages, live online classroom packages, and online video packages taught by some of the best instructors in California. While course packages are at the higher end of the price spectrum, Kaplan includes many extras in their course packages.
Course study packages that do not involve live teachers are priced from $179 for the basic home study package to $399 for the basic online video package. Live teacher online, or in-class packages start at $550.
Kaplan excels at providing interactive learning opportunities within the curriculum and keeping abreast of the real estate laws and standards. However, support for online courses is limited to 24/7 phone support.
While they offer some of the pricier online real estate classes in California, Kaplan is the leader in online test preparation.
(READ OUR KAPLAN REAL ESTATE SCHOOL REVIEW)
7. CA Realty Training: Real Estate School in California
CA Realty Training is one of the few real estate schools in California that is headquartered in California. Offering licensing courses just for California has allowed them to provide in-depth learning materials that go beyond the basics.
CA Realty Training offers real estate licensing course packages, which range in price from $75.00 for one class to $155 for the full licensing package, including exam prep and eBooks. Their licensing courses include the two mandatory courses plus a choice of one of six electives and are delivered via a combination of correspondence and online training,
Supplemental training and advanced courses are available for $157 to $187. Their premium course offers live webinars, hardbound textbooks, and online video courses for $399.
Instructors are knowledgeable, experienced training experts that know how to engage students in the learning materials. Online courses and exam prep resources are well designed to keep learner’s attention and immerse them in the review process.
Reasonably priced real estate licensing course packages with an in-depth focus on California’s market plus a free introductory training session make CA Realty Training a wise purchase decision.
8. OnlineED: California Real Estate School Review
OnlineEd is another of the well-known real estate schools in California that have been in business for a while. Since 1998, they have offered the required real estate license courses Real Estate Principles, Real Estate Practices, and Legal Aspects of Real Estate as the elective course.
Their course packages are the lowest priced of the online real estate schools in California that we review. Their Bronze, Silver, and Gold course packages range in price from $99 to $264.
The basic Bronze package includes the online course, a PDF and epub book for download. The Silver package has everything in the Bronze package plus practice tests and the Gold package includes everything in the Silver package plus bound textbooks.
OnlineEd provides licensing courses for salespersons and brokers, as well as continuing education and professional development courses. The California Association of Realtors endorses them for their professional development courses.
While they don’t offer all the bells and whistles of other online real estate courses, OnlineEd is a solid pre-license course choice that is easy on the wallet.
9. Allied Real Estate Schools: California RE Courses Online
Allied Real Estate School is a popular choice for those interested in one of the most affordable, approved online real estate courses in California. Unlike many other real estate schools, they only offer online courses in California and Texas.
You have the option of purchasing courses individually or taking advantage of their FastTrack packages. The Basic FastTrack program includes the two required Pre-license Courses and one of seven elective courses, eBook study downloads, practice exams, and access to live instructors and 24/7 support.
When you upgrade to premium and premium plus packages, Allied provides exam-cram videos, digital flashcards, eBook dictionary, hard copy textbooks, and membership access to webinars, job aids, and professional development courses.
Allied Schools are so confident that you will pass the California Real Estate licensing exam on the first try that they offer a 100% Money Back Guarantee if you don’t.
Other Top Online Real Estate Schools In California
The list above is our top 9 choices for the online real estate schools that offer the best pre-license education for California. The list below are other schools that are actually located in California but still offer online or home study courses. We listed these real estate schools because they responded to our request for information and each had very good response times:
Accredited Real Estate Schools, Inc.
Access License Schools
Affinity Real Estate Services
America West School of Real Estate
Approved Real Estate Academy
Chamberlin Real Estate School
JLG Real Estate Training
REL Real Estate & Loan School
What’s Required To Get A Real Estate License In California?
Real estate is an excellent career with the opportunity to earn good money. It is one of a handful of professions in which you are able to receive your certification in less than one year.
You will need to comply with the following requirements to be eligible for the Salesperson real estate exam in California:
- You must be 18 or older to sit for the licensing exam.
- The California Department of Real Estate requires 135 hours of real estate education from one of the many approved real estate schools in California, focusing on real estate principles, practices, and one elective.
- Some real estate or law courses can be accepted in place of up to 45 of the 135 required hours. However, you must still complete the remaining 90 hours in an approved pre-license education program.
- You must satisfactorily pass a background check. You are required to get fingerprinted at a local law enforcement agency.
- You must pass the salesperson real estate licensing exam with a score of 70% or more.
- To conduct real estate business in the state of California, you will need to be licensed and work with a licensed broker.
What You Should Know About The California Real Estate Exam
The Salespersons Real Estate exam consists of 150 multiple-choice questions and lasts for 3 hours. Don’t bring anything into the exam room except a current, valid photo ID.
The exam is delivered electronically at the majority of test locations and focuses on these seven areas:
- Practice of Real Estate and Disclosures 25%
- Laws of Agency and Fiduciary Duties 17%
- Property Ownership and Land Use Controls and Regulations 15%
- Property Valuation and Financial Analysis 14%
- Contracts 12%
- Financing 9%
- Transfer of Property 8%
The Salesperson Real Estate Exam in California can be challenging. However, you can expect any of the Online Real Estate Schools in California that have been reviewed in this guide to prepare you to be successful on the licensing exam.
If money is not an issue, purchase some of the additional study aids and resources that these companies offer to make your studying more effective. Be sure to take advantage of opportunities to ask questions of their knowledgeable instructors as well.
Classroom Instruction vs. Online Learning
You can receive your real estate licensing instruction in a physical classroom setting or via online video or text-based instruction. Both methods offer advantages. Classroom courses provide access to a physical instructor and the camaraderie of working with other students. However, online real estate schools in California allow students to complete coursework on their schedule in the comfort of their home.
California boasts approximately 40 online real estate schools. There are advantages and disadvantages to each real estate school. Some students prefer just the basic course materials required to meet state guidelines, while others want to take advantage of additional study aids and resources. Whatever your preference, there is a real estate school that can provide what you are looking for. In this guide, we recommend nine of the best online real estate schools in California to help you find the right one.