If you’re looking for the best home inspection schools and want to learn about home inspection courses online, this guide is just what you need.
In this guide we will show you the very top home inspector training and which ones will work best to help you get licensed. We even list all of the top home inspector training courses in every state which you can find at the end of this guide.
Why Be A Home Inspector?
Is it a good idea to become a home inspector? Is it a good career choice? The national average for a home inspector’s salary is $53,263 but they can earn much more than this. It all depends on whether you work for a home inspection company or start your own business.
What To Look For In Home Inspection Courses
Before you can become a home inspector, you must get educated and many states have strict requirements for your education. What we will show you here is the best home inspection schools to get your education.
But what should you look for in a good home inspection course and school? First, be sure that the school is approved by your state. You can see which courses and schools are approved by each state here.
The other thing to look for is whether the school offers online education on a modern easy to use learning platform. There is simply no reason to take your training with a provider who has a substandard platform.
Best Home Inspection Schools Overall
CompuCram (#2 Best Home Inspector Training Course)
CompuCram is a website that provides training for high-skill trades in well-paying industries. Instead of a traditional classroom environment where one teacher instructs a room full of students, this course offers a modern alternative that may appeal to you.
Online Course Packages
This site only offers one home inspection training course, but it encompasses many different learning techniques and contains a large library of practice material.
Don’t think of it as a limited catalog of content; instead, consider this an all-in-one resource that’s been optimized to save you time and money while studying.
Some of the materials you get include:
- Pre-assessment and performance tracking
- 100+ digital flashcards
- Fill-in-the-blank vocabulary questions
- Hundreds of multiple choice practice questions
- Randomized simulated exams
- 16 end-of-module quizzes
For just under $100, you can access their course for six months. It’s compatible on your desktop, laptop, Mac, PC, iPhone, or Android device.
Pros and Cons
- Pro – Mobile Compatibility: One of the best features CompuCram offers is the ability to study on your mobile phone or tablet. This enables you to study outside of your home; for example, you can work through a few flashcards on break at work or take a practice quiz during a long commute.
- Pro – Guaranteed Results: CompuCram offers a 100% money-back guarantee. If you consistently score well on their course but fail your home inspection exam, you’ll receive a full refund. However, you shouldn’t need to take advantage of this offer since it is an effective study course.
- Con – Instructor: As an online self-study course, CompuCram doesn’t have an instructor who works through the material with you. This may not be a big deal for you, but students who prefer working with a teacher or tutor may prefer a different course.
CompuCram is a fantastic choice if you’re interested in a quick and affordable exam prep course that takes full advantage of modern learning technology.
Kaplan Real Estate Education (#3 Best Home Inspector Training Course)
One of the most reputable companies for educational textbooks and courses is Kaplan. Virtually every student has heard of this company, since they fill a lot of shelves in most American college bookstores.
Online Course Packages
Kaplan offers home inspection training courses in these states:
- New Hampshire
- New Mexico
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- Washington DC
That’s nearly every state in the union!
Depending on the specific requirements for each state, Kaplan offers different versions of their course. Here are some common features included with each one:
- Text passages with engaging visuals (also sold separately)
- 11+ hours of instructional videos and lectures
- 20+ interactive activities
- 10+ quizzes to track your progress
- Access to a home inspection study group
- Software training and free trial
- State board approved credit hours (exclusive to some states)
By far the best deal is to choose one of their training courses that also provides the necessary credit hours to become certified in your state. However, you can also take advantage of their textbooks for a more affordable, albeit limited, study guide.
Pros and Cons
- Pro – Community: Studying online can be lonely, but Kaplan includes an interactive study group so you won’t feel left out. This allows you to collaborate and compare notes with your fellow students, which can be extremely effective for interpersonal learners.
- Pro – Software Included: Many of Kaplan’s online home inspection courses also provide training resources for home inspection software; additionally, a trial version of Horizon is included so you can get some hands-on practice!
- Con – Availability: Unfortunately, Kaplan doesn’t provide the same educational resources for each state. This is a better choice for a professional in Vermont than it is for one in Florida.
If you want help from one of the most trustworthy and ubiquitous companies in education, check out Kaplan’s real estate catalog and see if they offer a great course for your jurisdiction. Otherwise, you may be better off with AHIT.
Inspection Certification Associates (ICA) (#4 Best Home Inspector Training Course)
Inspection Certification Associates or ICA is a home inspection training course that is also approved by many state agencies.
The course offered by ICA is a self-paced online course meaning you can take it from the convenience of your home.
If you prefer a live classroom setting, they also offer classroom based courses but you must choose a date and attend at the times scheduled. Their classroom courses are also much more expensive than their online course.
Online Course Packages
ICA’s courses for each state are all pretty much the same. It’s the same course no matter what state you need to be licensed in.
The cost for the online ICA course is also the same as American Home Inspectors Training (AHIT) by Mbition.
They do offer 700 exam prep questions that will be specific for your state so you will get some state specific education.
The main difference between the ICA course and others is that they have a number of bonuses that can be very valuable for home inspectors. These bonuses include 15 in-depth courses on important home inspection topics. Here is a list of the bonus courses:
- Mold Inspection
- Commercial Property Inspection
- Mobile, Manufactured, Tiny, & Log Home Inspection
- Radon Inspection
- Wood Destroying Organisms
- Well Water Testing and Inspection Course
- Pool and Spa Inspection
- Irrigation and Sprinkler System Inspection
- Smart Home Inspection
- Asbestos Inspection
- Thermal Imaging
- Lead Paint Inspection
- Wind Mitigation Inspection
- Four Point Inspection Certification
- Building a Multi-Inspector Business
- Septic Inspection
On top of this you even get access to home inspection report software free of charge. This is a great extra that we really like. Buying this software outright can cost over $700 and you get this for free to use in your career with ICA.
We feel that the ICA home inspection course is definitely the best that you can find and we highly recommend this program to anyone looking to become a home inspector.
They offer more for the money including bonus courses, home inspection software, and 700 exam prep questions for your state. You cannot go wrong with the ICA home inspection course.
McKissock Learning (Best Home Inspection Training Course For Continuing Education)
McKissock is a well known name as a top online appraisal school and has been around for over 30 years.
Besides their expertise in helping people learn how to become appraisers, they also have some of the best home inspection continuing education courses on the market. This is why we have chosen them as one of our top choices for home inspection training specifically for continuing education.
They are also listed as an approved provider on most state regulatory agency websites which means they meet the standards set by most government regulators.
We love them because we know McKissock is one of the most reputable names in the online education industry and over 29,000 very positive reviews.
Plus, the educational platform offered by McKissock is top notch and very few do it better.
If you need to get your continuing education as a home inspector, you can’t go wrong with the McKissock home inspection training online platform.
Best Home Inspection Schools By State